Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Strawberry Pickin' Time



This weekend it was time for the annual trip to the strawberry patch.  I look forward to this every year and anxiously wait to see the signs go up on the side of the road signaling that the strawberries are ready. My parents went with me this year to pick, B's uncle was in town from Indiana so he was out doing something manly I'm sure like chopping wood, or mowing hay.. or maybe at an all you can eat breakfast fundraiser.







 I think the strawberry patch is so pretty! I always get a little carried away when I'm picking and usually wind up with way too many, because they are so easy to pick. Really with strawberries the possibilities are endless.  This photo is both of mine and mom's strawberries. If you want to go pick your own you can find out more here at Howard's Strawberry Farm . They also sell produce, and you can put your name on a list to be called when their wonderful sweet peaches and cream corn is ready. 

I of course couldn't do the norm and make plain strawberry jam, besides I have some left from last year.  So this year I decided to make Strawberry-Jalapeno Jam.  It is delicious, even If I did make it. Similar to that same sweet taste of pepper jelly.  B did assist in cutting the Jalapenos because that was "dangerous". I think he was just montoring to make sure I didn't spill any hot sugary substance on the ceramic cooktop (thank you Lowe's guy for this warning, and for adding the permanent hint of worry to my husband's mind )  Here's the recipe....


3 Jalapeno peppers-stemmed and deveined
6 cups of sugar
5 cups of crushed strawberries
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 package of fruit pectin

1. Clean and sterilize jars, lids and rings
2. Combine peppers, sugar, strawberries, and lemon juice in large stainless steel pan.  Mash with potato masher over medium heat, stirring often. Bring to a rolling boil, boil for 1 minute. 
3. Reduce heat; stir in pectin.  Simmer for 10 minutes; stirring frequently. Quickly skim off any foam. 
4. Quickly pour jam into prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add warm lids and rings. 




7 Frozen pints, 11 jars of Jam, and 2 bowls for devouring!




No comments:

Post a Comment